Sunday, April 7, 2013

Roasted Spiced Strawberries with Honey Vanilla Yogurt


I'm great at holding grudges.  Forgiveness does not come easily after being betrayed.  I've held one (or continue to hold one) against each of the following:
1. granola
2. hot dogs
3. orange juice
4. Fig Newtons
5. yogurt

Most of these grudges have lasted for years.  One has lasted over two decades.  I won't get into the details of how each of these relationships went sour.  But now that we are firmly into 2013, it is perhaps time to get rid of all that bad energy and drop the hard feelings.

Yogurt is an easy food with which to get back into a relationship.  So useful as an ingredient - especially with quick breads and smoothies.  But I'd like to take things to the next level - and enjoy the stuff on its own terms.  As creamy, luxurious yogurt.

Here, Greek yogurt is mixed with honey, vanilla, and some spices.  And topped with strawberries spiced and roasted.  It is hard to stay mad at the stuff, when turned into this concoction.  I can drop the hard feelings for yogurt, and granola looks like the next food to work on - but one thing is for sure, the hot dog war will never cease.  Time doesn't heal ALL wounds.

Cooking Light has a great slideshow about yogurt - Click here to get some nutrition information, recipes, and tips about the stuff!

Ingredients
1 pound strawberries, sliced
2 tbsp dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon spice mix

Spice mix:
1/2 tsp roasted Saigon cinnamon
1/4 tsp cardamom
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp allspice
1/8 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp ground coriander
Pinch cumin
Pinch ground ginger
Pinch ground star anise

Yogurt:
16 ounces Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons wild dandelion honey
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch spice mix

Instructions
Place sliced strawberries in a bowl and sprinkle with the brown sugar.  Let them sit for an hour.  Meanwhile, mix together the spice mix in a small bowl.

Heat oven to 350.  Stir in olive oil, white wine vinegar, and 1 1/2 teaspoons of the spice mix with the strawberries.  Spread on baking sheet and roast for about 30 minutes.  Set aside to cool.

In a medium bowl, mix the yogurt, honey, vanilla, and spices.  To serve, top with the roasted strawberries.

19 comments:

  1. I have my own war to fight too! haha....your Roasted Spiced strawberries over the yogurt is gorgeous. ;) I guess we have to pick and choose our battles wisely. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great looking strawberry sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow this looks amazing so very creative

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hold grudges against food, too. Glad I'm not the only one :) Oh, and yogurt is totally on my list! Maybe I should give it another chance too because this looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this looks delicious. I am so looking forward to strawberry season now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What did the poor yogurt ever do to you to fall so much out of favor? It's so useful everywhere and be excellent if well paired (as is in this case) :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hated yogurt as a kid. It's only recently that I've warmed to it, but I still have to be in the mood or I won't eat it. However, I think I might be in the mood for this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jenn! This looks so bright and delicious! I would love it for breakfast in the morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My dad used to make oj in the blender each morning...and hand us each a glass of foam. It took me decades before I enjoyed orange juice again. I'm not a huge yogurt fan, btu I'd definitely gobble up this treat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very interesting! I'm intrigued to try the homemade spice mix you put in the yogurt. It's a totally new way for me to enjoy yogurt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love yogurt but in all honesty...I could totally just eat a batch of those roasted spiced strawberries. Swoon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It took me until the past year to finally appreciate yogurt and granola - I always thought it tasted like dust. Time heals all wounds!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish I could hear the stories behind all those grudges. These strawberries look AMAZING. Thank you for sharing! I'm glad to be back home after a week of traveling...and finally catching up on my favorite blogs. I hope you have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This dessert screams spring all over. I love strawberries and yogurt!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful, creative strawberry recipe this is!
    I love the spice mixture, it adds so many interesting flavors.
    Thanks for sharing Jenn!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This strawberry sauce sounds incredible! Love roasted strawberries!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooo perfect! And just fancy enough to see like a special treat.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You and I don't fall too far from the tree. I hold major grudges. If my hubs makes me made, I can go a week before I even talk to him. I blame it on my mom's side of the family.

    This is one serious recipe. I love that you roasted the strawberries. I bet they're super sweet and juicy. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks like the perfect dessert! Love the spice mix! I've never roasted strawberries, but I must try it ASAP :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...