Sunday, August 18, 2013

Cantaloupe Strawberry Salad with White Wine Lime Dressing


Composed. The word itself even sounds so elegant, so controlled. So poised.

Not surprisingly, these words do not describe me.

I hurt my ankle on the linen closet somehow, That "somehow" sneakily obfuscates the major role I played in my own injury. I do actually know what happened.

I attempted to stuff a pillow on a shelf that quite clearly did not have enough space. The pillow was aware of this, and didn't really want to be there. But I can be ridiculously stubborn, so I carried on with my futile task, resulting in the pillow rebelling by popping open the door on my ankle with surprising force.

Later that day, I made some bacon for Max, keeping a slice for myself to use in a grilled cheese, and used the bacon grease to cook the sandwich. It turned out to be a delicious grilled cheese. But it really was not one of my best ideas. As one can imagine, this sandwich provided some wonderful stomach pains.

To top it all off, something began irritating my left eye, resulting in a red eye that would barely stay open. The irritation also led to some side effects like a runny nose.

By the end of the day, I was a hobbling woman with one eye open, face in a tissue, hunched over from the pain of the grilled cheese.

Composed I am not. Composed people do not stuff grilled cheese sandwiches with bacon and then cook them in bacon grease. Composed people probably eat quinoa and kale salads exclusively. Composed people do not fight pillows to stay in closets. Composed people probably have special closets dedicated solely to storing pillows. Composed people do not allow eye irritations to occur.

Since I am not elegant, or poised, or composed, I attempted to live vicariously through produce. Some cantaloupe, strawberries, macadamia nuts, slices of Parmesan cheese, and basil leaves arranged "artfully" (a term I use very very very very loosely, by the way) on the plate, drizzled with a lime and white wine dressing and sprinkled with just a bit of freshly ground black pepper. This salad is everything I am not. The self I wish I could be.

Melons, all juicy and round and fragrant are just so much fun to eat! Here, Cooking Light has a super informative slideshow about how to best pick out melons and recipes to use them in! So check it out!


Ingredients
shaved slices from cantaloupe wedge
sliced strawberries
roasted and salted macadamia nuts, halved
shaved Parmesan slices
basil leaves
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon lime juice
1/4 teaspoon lime zest
1 tablespoon dry white wine
freshly ground black pepper

Instructions
Arrange the cantaloupe, strawberries, macadamia nuts, Parmesan, and basil leaves on a plate.  Whisk the olive oil, lime juice, lime zest, and white wine together.  Drizzle desired amount of the dressing over the salad.  Sprinkle the salad with black pepper.

17 comments:

  1. What a beautiful and refreshing salad, Jenn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had many similar closet experience--none of my closets are big enough! But, what a great salad to sit down to after a trying day. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty salad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely colored salad,you have plated it beautifully and this certainly is the ultimate healthful and tasty summer cooler for us...HAVE A GREAT DAY!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous! I love how perfect this is for summer

    ReplyDelete
  6. The salad is so pretty and delicious looking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenn, you made me giggle...I must not be composed either! Your salad looks terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't say I am ever especially composed either...but I suppose I can fake it by making this salad! So full of fresh delicious flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Composed people sound boring. Composed people do not make pretty salads. And that means you're totally better than someone composed

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to hear about your accident. Hoping you are better now.
    The salad looks pretty and that dressing sounds really good. I have to try the dressing soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The salad looks absolutely delicious and I am sure it comforted you after your little misfortunes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful looking plate! So colorful, so elegant and a simply perfect salad! I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. lovely colored salad,you have plated it beautifully and this certainly is the ultimate healthful and tasty summer cooler for us...
    White Wine

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nutritional Value & Calories In Cantaloupe. As a general rule, always look for cantaloupes that are evenly shaped and do not contain any bruises, cracks or soft spots.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...